The pastor, Father Geza Gyorfy had personally registered
215 pupils for the first school year. Students were enrolled
in grades two through seven. By 1929, enrollment had
risen to 384, with grades kindergarten through eighth.
In 1953, enrollment had grown to 702, with ten teaching
Sisters. By 1958, there were double classes of each grade,
from first through the sixth grade. Seventh and eighth
grades remained single classes. At this time, there were
fourteen teaching Sisters and four lay teachers.
In 1980, enrollment had fallen to an all time low of
106. Since 1980, enrollment has continued to increase.
All day kindergarten and three and four year old Pre-school
can be credited for these increases. The enrollment for
the 1993-94 school year was 161. During the winter of
1992, the Principal Superior of the Midwest Province
of the Daughters of Divine Charity notified Bishop John
D'Arcy and Father Thad Kwak, pastor of Our lady of Hungary,
that the Sisters would be withdrawn from the school as
of June 1993.
To view a list of all the Sisters who spent many years working with the good priests, wonderful people and fine students at Our Lady of Hungary Parish from 1927 - 1993, click here.
Today there are ten lay teachers and a lay principal
staffing the school. The Sister's convent has been turned
into a Chapter 1 tutoring sight. In addition to religious
education and preparation for the Blessed Sacraments,
the teachers instruct students in all major educational
Special programs include: computers, music, gym and
art education, as well as extra curricular activities
such as boys and girls team sports and cheerleading.
Our Lady of Hungary offers a hot lunch program, free
milk program and text book assistance to qualified students.
Experimental classes are offered in science and algebra
as well as educational field trips. Foreign language
was offered beginning in the 1995-96 school year.