Our Lady of Hungary Parish, began as a
mission church of St. Stephen's Parish in 1916 when
St. Stephen's Pastor, Reverend Lawrence Horvath,
built a church for Our Lady at Catalpa Street near
The spiritual needs of the people were administered
by Reverend Paul Miller, a Notre Dame priest who
came on Sundays to conduct services and administer
the Sacraments. All records until December 1921
were kept at St. Stephen's.
In December of 1921, the Right Reverend Herman
Alerding, Bishop of Fort Wayne, appointed Reverend
Geza Gyorfy as Pastor at the mission and gave
him the task of establishing a parish. Our Lady
was an independent parish from that time. The
new parish was not to be a national parish so
a non Hungarian priest was appointed to assist.
This was the Reverend Charles Scholl.
In 1923 when the Studebaker Corporation purchased
the church grounds, the church building was moved
to its present location on West Calvert Street.
The rectory was built in 1924 and the new offices
were added in 1968. In 1927 the school and the
Sisters' home were built. The Daughters of Divine
Charity (F.D.C.) taught at our school for many
years. To view a list of all the Sisters who spent many years working with the good priests, wonderful people and fine students at Our Lady of Hungary Parish from 1927 - 1993, click here.
Father John Sabo, who had been
as assistant since 1930, succeeded Father Gyorfy
as Pastor when Father Gyorfy retired because
of ill health in 1935 and was assigned to a small
parish in Gary, Indiana. Father Sabo was ordained
on June 14th, 1930 and officially became Pastor
on January 26, 1935. Later Father Sabo became
Monsignor John S. Sabo and continued to be Our
Lady of Hungary's pastor until he retired in
1980. Monsignor Sabo was born on January 21, 1905 and was called back to heaven on April 8, 1991.
Ground was broken for the present
church in 1948, and it was dedicated on December
18, 1949. First services were held on Christmas
1949, though the church was not complete.
The newly-formed choir of Our Lady, under the
direction of its founder Professor Carl Matthes,
sang an original mass written by the Professor
for the occasion: "The Mass of the Our Lady
Stations of the Cross painted especially for the
church were done by Mrs. Elizabeth Kormendi and donated
by the artist of the church, as was a statue of Christ
the Light of the World, the model for the one in
Washington D.C. This was sculptured by the late Eugene
Kormendi, St. Michael was placed on the Purple Heart
Memorial Tower on the south side of the church
In the Tower, we have a stained glass window
in memory of our men in service in World War 1.
The insignia of all the units are in this window.
The Rose window is of Christ the King. One of
the panels in one of the lights is a parishioner.
The windows in the sacristy represent our pastors
and two of the assistants who served our parish
for many years. Father Geza Gyorfy, Pastor from
1921 to 1935; Father Martin Horvath, an assistant
at Our Lady from 1943 to 1962; Monsignor John S.
Sabo, Pastor who served from 1935 to ; and Father
Anthony Molnar, assistant from 1958 to 1967.
In 1961 a priest from Rome, Father Peter Prokop,
was brought to the parish and painted the frescoes
which now dominate the front of the church. the
altar piece is a Triptych - of Our Patroness -
with scenes of Her life on the wings. The large
frescoes around the altar represent the 150th psalm.
The pilasters, the four evangelists, the two flat
surfaces are, one St. Emeric to show that the Americas
have the name of a saint. St. Emeric, St. Amerigo
or Americus. The other, the Sacred Heart, showing
Our Lord's love, is a masterpiece. The windows
are the saints of the Canon of the mass. All 39
are included, plus a few because of local interest,
these are St. Stephen, St. Emeric, St. Elizabeth
and St. Anthony, the Patron of a large segment
of the parish from Burgenland in Austria.